Saturday, September 6, 2014

Google Apps in Education

After navigating through the various websites for Google Apps, it is easy to see that Google Apps has opened doors in education that used to be unimaginable. Google for Education has given us learning without limitation; the convenience of a school setting that can be reached anywhere, anytime. I began using Google Apps in college, where I signed up for my first Gmail account. From there I noticed that many school webpages incorporated Google Apps within their sites, whether it be Mail, Calendar, Contacts, almost anything you could think of was Google related.

During my undergraduate work I used Google Apps to help differentiate lessons for various students with disabilities. I learned how to record my own voice while recording the pages of a story, creating a "read to me" type book for students with visual impairments. Google Apps was also helpful to me while completing my student teaching. Pages has a variety of different options to work with compared to Microsoft Word or Office; being able to insert video or a photo anywhere within my document allowed me to add necessary visuals without complication.

It wasn't until recently that I worked with Google Drive. I work as a Pre-K teacher, in a classroom that was fortunate enough to be given four Ipad's this year. I have been working with Ipad's for about four years, but never in the sense that I am using it now. Having an Ipad in my classroom has given me endless tools to enhance the learning of my students. However, it has not only benefited my class, but it has given me endless evidence of learning as well. I have been able to pick up an Ipad at any moment in my classroom and take photographs or videos of students engaged in learning; something so simple that has translated to so much. Having Google Drive at the touch of my fingertips, and having the ability to share and print photos with coworkers and families has connected school and home in a way that I have never experienced before.

I can only imagine where Google Apps will bring us next, but I know that keeping learning and life connected will bring us to a place in education that we have never seen before. A type of freedom in learning that will help us to soar as both students and educators.


No comments:

Post a Comment