Saturday, October 11, 2014

Microsoft Access

Before completing the tutorial, Microsoft Access was completely foreign to me. It seems to be a great tool to help stay organized and manage information. I can see why so many small businesses would use it to keep track of clients, money, etc. Being an educator, I was playing around in Access and trying to figure out how I would be able to use it for my students or in my classroom.

Access has the option to sort through information through any query that you select. Therefore, Access seems that it would be a great tool to use for grading or keeping track of assessments. Rather than going through your entire list of students and highlighting who you still need to assess or write a goal for, you can query the information and it will make a nice neat list for you. You could also use it to keep track of students assignments, who has turned it in and who's you are still waiting on. As I continue to learn what Access has to offer I will explore how to filter it into the classroom and post more about my findings.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that I had never heard of Access before. I like that you thought of how you would use it in the classroom because I was having trouble thinking of how I would apply my new skills. Keeping track of assignments would be nice to use it for. By quickly sorting the data so that you can see who still owes you an assignment is very easy to do. My only concern is that the program we use at school would do that for me too and it seems easier! Infinite Campus would also notify the parents if they have a missing assignment, which is one less step for me to do after I enter the data.

    Good luck with the access material. It definitely took me awhile to understand the nuts and bolts of it!

    ReplyDelete